Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Getting The Garden Started!

A year or so ago, my uncle gave me a film canister (remember those? lol) with tomato seeds from 1999 that he had collected and saved. They are from tomatoes that he had grown for a few years. If I remember correctly, they originally came from seeds a co-worker brought back from Italy. I have to confirm that though. Anyway, these tomatoes were good sized, great flavor and very few seeds.

I have about 50-60 seeds. I soaked 16 overnight in plain water. This afternoon, I put them in a mini greenhouse on top of the freezer. So we'll see how this goes. They are 15 years old after all...

I should also be getting seeds from WinterSown as well. If you send a SASE (follow the directions on the page), you will get free tomato seeds in a few weeks. I mailed mine two weeks ago. Honestly, I don't even remember which ones I put down.

I will have to get another seed starting kit too. I have Black Krim seeds to start in a few weeks. It is still a bit too early to start tomatoes here in zone 5, but from what I've been told, the 15 year seeds might take a month or more to sprout...

If everything goes well with the 15 year seeds and the WinterSown ones, I will be bagging certain tomatoes to try to avoid cross-pollination and saving seeds from those plants.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...