Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Canning Plans

I canned for the second time last night. Now, I do not have a canning pot. These two jars are pints and are now in the fridge... I realized that the pot was going to be too short too late. The water is supposed to cover the top at least an inch or so, it was maybe half an inch. I didn't want to take the risk and put them in the fridge after they cooled. The lids didn't pop, but the buttons were down. Oh well, I know it will get eaten!

Ball Fiesta Salsa


I went out today to get Red Haven peaches for jam, completely forgot the lemon juice. I'll pick it up on Thursday along with a half bushel of tomatoes for bbq sauce and more salsa. In half pint jars this time...

Next year, I'd like to have raised beds for a real garden. I want to do tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, various herbs, etc. I'd love to have a Red Haven peach tree, but the "dwarf" varieties are still 15 ft tall! I'd also love to have blackberry and blueberry bushes. Someday...

I sort of remember my grandmother canning. She only canned tomato juice for soup from what I remember. We used to mix it with milk and simmer it till heated. It was wonderful with salt and pepper.

I want to make peach jam, caramel apple jam, more salsa, bbq sauce and a few other things. No pickles! I don't like pickles. Although maybe homemade ones would change my mind.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...